Ontario Premier Doug Ford Says Canada Would Drop All Tariffs If Trump Backs Off Trade War

Latin Times
Canadian Premier Says He's Willing To Remove Tariffs 'Tomorrow' If Trump Backs Down

Ontario Premier Doug Ford said Canada is willing to remove all tariffs currently imposed on the United States if the Donald Trump administration backs down on its own measures, set to be announced on Wednesday in what he has described as "Liberation Day." Speaking with CNBC, Ford criticized the tariffs, saying that they are having the opposite effect to the one Trump intends. "He believes he is supporting Americans. He said they're going to create jobs, wealth, reduce inflation. It has worked in the total opposite way," Ford said. Ford went on to say that Canada would drop all its tariffs if Trump backs down. Asked if the U.S. president is aware of the offer, Ford said "he knows" and Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick knows too.

Left
Latin Times
CTV News
Premier Doug Ford says Ontario would drop tariffs if Trump does

Ontario Premier Doug Ford says he believes that Canada would drop its tariffs on goods south of the border if U.S. President Donald Trump stops his trade war. Ford made the comment in an interview with CNBC’s Ross Sorkin Wednesday morning when the host alluded to Canada’s $60 billion in retaliatory tariffs on products imported from the United States. Ford is currently the chair of Canada’s Council of the Federation of premiers and has participated in bilateral discussions with U.S. officials in the past. However, it should be noted that the tariffs placed on some U.S. goods are ultimately the responsibility of the federal government. “We’d be willing to take those off tomorrow, if he took all the tariffs off. We are not the problem,” Ford said.

Middle
CTV News
Breitbart
Ontario Premier Ford: Canada Will Drop All Tariffs if Trump Does

Ontario Premier Doug Ford said Wednesday on CNBC’s “Squawk Box” that if President Donald Trump removes tariffs, Canada will drop all of their tariffs. Host Andrew Ross Sorkin said, “Do you expect this to be a negotiation? meaning there has been a sense, implied or otherwise, that we’re going to hear a number, whether it’s 20% or something else, as a sort of top, and that if folks like yourself come forward and say, you know what, we’re going to take some tariffs off of this and we’re going to do this, perhaps that those tariff numbers come down?” Ford said, “Well, let’s hope so. Let’s sit down and discuss this because it’s just going to hurt American jobs. I can’t stress it enough and you know again he believes he’s supporting Americans. He said he was going to create jobs, create wealth, reduce inflation it’s worked the total opposite.”

Right
Breitbart
Sponsored

Shipping Supplies in Stock at ULINE

From boxes & packing materials to tape & labels, we've got you covered. In stock & ships today.
View More

News Results

Ontario’s Ford calls for USCA deal, ready to drop tariffs By Investing.com
Ontario Premier Doug Ford has called for the removal of tariffs between the United States and Canada. Ford voiced his preference for renegotiating the USMCA trade agreement to exclude Mexico. Ford, a vocal critic of U.S. President Donald Trump’s trade policy, accused Trump of targeting Canada.
News Article Image
Ontario Premier Doug Ford believes Canada would drop its tariffs if President Trump does the same
Ford made the comment in an interview with CNBC’s Ross Sorkin. Canada has already imposed a 25 per cent tariff on $60 billion worth of U.S. goods after Trump started, and then scaled back, his trade war last month. Ford said he believes Canada would remove its tariffs “in the next minute” if Trump does the same.
News Article Image
‘Termination Day’: Ford dismisses Trump’s ‘Liberation Day’ comments hours before new U.S. tariffs to be introduced
Ontario Premier Doug Ford told NBC's Meet the Press that the “only thing acceptable thing is zero tariffs,” while citing the many negative consequences to come for both sides. Ford said he and other top Canadian officials are prepared to introduce an additional $65 billion worth of retaliatory tariffs in response to what U.S. President Donald Trump announces Wednesday.
News Article Image
Canada steels itself to respond to Trump’s sweeping 'reciprocal' tariffs
NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh is campaigning in Winnipeg today. Singh calls U.S. President Donald Trump “an arsonist” Prime Minister Mark Carney is back in Ottawa to plan Canada’s response.Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre is in Toronto, where he detailed how he would handle tariffs.
News Article Image
U.S. renews tariff threat as northeastern Ont. federal candidates hit campaign trail
Nipissing-Temiskaming Liberal candidate Pauline Rochefort says it's all she's hearing about as she goes knocking on doors for support. She says tariffs are directly tied to concerns about the cost of living. Rochefort argues that Mark Carney is best positioned to tackle a trade war with the U.S.
News Article Image
Singh pitches EI reform, infrastructure and affordability in tariff response plan
NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh says his party has a plan to safeguard Canada from Donald Trump's trade war. Singh is citing previously announced NDP policy proposals like increasing employment insurance payments. Trump is expected to unveil today his latest round of “reciprocal’ tariffs on countries he claims have been taking advantage of the U.S.
News Article Image
Trump set to unveil ‘reciprocal’ tariffs on ‘Liberation Day’ - National
Trump has pledged to unveil on Wednesday so-called “reciprocal” tariffs on multiple countries. Wednesday also marks the deadline for Trump’s temporary exemption of auto parts and other goods traded under North American free trade rules. Those were imposed on March 4 in what Trump has billed as a push to get Canada and Mexico to take action on fentanyl trafficking.
News Article Image
‘Termination Day’ Ford says more tariffs on Wednesday would hurt people on both sides of border
U.S. President Donald Trump is expected to announce a new round of tariffs on Wednesday. Ontario Premier Doug Ford says he asked the Commerce Secretary for a heads up on what to expect. Ford says the secretary said he didn't know and that he was either "blowing smoke or he really doesn't know"
News Article Image
U.S. attacking its 'number one ally' in trade war, Ford says
U.S. attacking its 'number one ally' in trade war, Ford says. Ontario Premier Doug Ford maintained the tariffs will hurt Americans as much as their trading partners. 'It's going to hurt American jobs, it'sGoing to hurt investments, we've seen the markets tumble'
News Article Image
Upstate N.Y. awaits uncertain impact of Trump tariffs
While there are still plenty of unknowns, Democrats are sounding the alarm about the impact on the country and specifically on upstate New York.
News Article Image
Ontario's Ford on Tariff Response: Maximize Pain for Americans
Ontario Premier Doug Ford says Canada will retaliate with $65 billion in tariffs. Ford: "We have two options here: Either we roll over as a country and he runs us over 15 times and gets what he wants or we feel a little bit of pain and we fight like we've never fought before"
News Article Image
Sponsored

Shipping Supplies in Stock at ULINE

From boxes & packing materials to tape & labels, we've got you covered. In stock & ships today.
View More