Ontario Premier Doug Ford Says Canada Would Drop All Tariffs If Trump Backs Off Trade War

Latin Times
Canadian Premier Says He's Willing To Remove Tariffs 'Tomorrow' If Trump Backs Down

Ontario Premier Doug Ford said Canada is willing to remove all tariffs currently imposed on the United States if the Donald Trump administration backs down on its own measures, set to be announced on Wednesday in what he has described as "Liberation Day." Speaking with CNBC, Ford criticized the tariffs, saying that they are having the opposite effect to the one Trump intends. "He believes he is supporting Americans. He said they're going to create jobs, wealth, reduce inflation. It has worked in the total opposite way," Ford said. Ford went on to say that Canada would drop all its tariffs if Trump backs down. Asked if the U.S. president is aware of the offer, Ford said "he knows" and Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick knows too.

Left
Latin Times
CTV News
Premier Doug Ford says Ontario would drop tariffs if Trump does

Ontario Premier Doug Ford says he believes that Canada would drop its tariffs on goods south of the border if U.S. President Donald Trump stops his trade war. Ford made the comment in an interview with CNBC’s Ross Sorkin Wednesday morning when the host alluded to Canada’s $60 billion in retaliatory tariffs on products imported from the United States. Ford is currently the chair of Canada’s Council of the Federation of premiers and has participated in bilateral discussions with U.S. officials in the past. However, it should be noted that the tariffs placed on some U.S. goods are ultimately the responsibility of the federal government. “We’d be willing to take those off tomorrow, if he took all the tariffs off. We are not the problem,” Ford said.

Middle
CTV News
Breitbart
Ontario Premier Ford: Canada Will Drop All Tariffs if Trump Does

Ontario Premier Doug Ford said Wednesday on CNBC’s “Squawk Box” that if President Donald Trump removes tariffs, Canada will drop all of their tariffs. Host Andrew Ross Sorkin said, “Do you expect this to be a negotiation? meaning there has been a sense, implied or otherwise, that we’re going to hear a number, whether it’s 20% or something else, as a sort of top, and that if folks like yourself come forward and say, you know what, we’re going to take some tariffs off of this and we’re going to do this, perhaps that those tariff numbers come down?” Ford said, “Well, let’s hope so. Let’s sit down and discuss this because it’s just going to hurt American jobs. I can’t stress it enough and you know again he believes he’s supporting Americans. He said he was going to create jobs, create wealth, reduce inflation it’s worked the total opposite.”

Right
Breitbart
Sponsored

Shipping Supplies in Stock at ULINE

From boxes & packing materials to tape & labels, we've got you covered. In stock & ships today.
View More

News Results

Ontario’s Ford calls for USCA deal, ready to drop tariffs By Investing.com
Ontario Premier Doug Ford has called for the removal of tariffs between the United States and Canada. Ford voiced his preference for renegotiating the USMCA trade agreement to exclude Mexico. Ford, a vocal critic of U.S. President Donald Trump’s trade policy, accused Trump of targeting Canada.
News Article Image
Ontario Premier Doug Ford believes Canada would drop its tariffs if President Trump does the same
Ford made the comment in an interview with CNBC’s Ross Sorkin. Canada has already imposed a 25 per cent tariff on $60 billion worth of U.S. goods after Trump started, and then scaled back, his trade war last month. Ford said he believes Canada would remove its tariffs “in the next minute” if Trump does the same.
News Article Image
Could Canada and the U.S. strike a zero tariff deal? Ford says Carney is open to idea
Ontario Premier Doug Ford said he spoke with Prime Minister Mark Carney about the possibility of a zero-tariff deal. Ford made the revelation while appearing on CNBC this morning. Ford said a no tariff situation “is exactly what President Trump wants” and suggested Canada make the first move.
News Article Image
Ford ‘very, very thankful’ after Canada unaffected by new U.S. import tariffs
Doug Ford said he was “cautiously optimistic’ when he saw that Canada was not on the list of Trump’s newly announced import levies. Ford said his focus going forward is on “building relationships” and “always communicating” with the U.S. administration.
News Article Image
‘Termination Day’: Ford dismisses Trump’s ‘Liberation Day’ comments hours before new U.S. tariffs to be introduced
Ontario Premier Doug Ford told NBC's Meet the Press that the “only thing acceptable thing is zero tariffs,” while citing the many negative consequences to come for both sides. Ford said he and other top Canadian officials are prepared to introduce an additional $65 billion worth of retaliatory tariffs in response to what U.S. President Donald Trump announces Wednesday.
News Article Image
Doug Ford Strongly Recommends Canada ‘Not Retaliate’ Against Trump’s Tariffs
Ontario Premier Doug Ford urged Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney to avoid retaliation against the tariffs President Donald Trump announced on Wednesday.
News Article Image
Ontario premier ‘cautiously optimistic’ amid Trump tariffs
Ontario Premier Doug Ford sounded a conciliatory note Wednesday as President Trump announced a new slate of tariffs on foreign trade partners. Trump unveiled a plan to charge reciprocal and baseline tariffs against several U.S. trading partners, but Canada and Mexico were notably absent. Those two countries are still subject to a 25 percent tariff, with goods covered under the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement exempted.
News Article Image
Ontario's Ford calls for USCA deal, ready to drop tariffs
Ontario Premier Doug Ford has called for the removal of tariffs between the United States and Canada. Ford voiced his preference for renegotiating the USMCA trade agreement to exclude Mexico. He highlighted concerns that Mexico is importing cheap parts from China, affixing a "made-in-Mexico" label.
News Article Image
Canada will fight Trump’s trade war with ‘purpose and force,’ Carney says
The U.S. has imposed new tariffs on Canada. Canada has vowed to retaliate with its own tariffs. The Canadian government is holding a meeting to discuss the matter. The meeting is expected to take place in the next few days, the Canadian government says. The United States has also imposed new taxes on aluminum and steel imports.
News Article Image
Ontario braces for impact of Trump tariff announcement coming Wednesday
U.S. President Donald Trump is set to announce his new trade policy Wednesday. Ontario Premier Doug Ford says the announcement is more like 'Termination Day' Ford: 'People are going to be losing their jobs across the U.S.' The announcement will be made in the White House Rose Garden at 4 p.m.
News Article Image
Ontario postpones tariff response announcement as Canada looks for clarity
Premier Ford cancels plan to unveil Ontario's response to U.S. auto tariffs. Trump announced 25 per cent auto tariffs on all countries but no additional levies for Canada. Ford said the lack of additional tariffs for Canada was “positive news” but acknowledged events “change hour by hour, day by day”
News Article Image
Sponsored

Shipping Supplies in Stock at ULINE

From boxes & packing materials to tape & labels, we've got you covered. In stock & ships today.
View More