Myanmar's Military Declares Temporary Ceasefire to Facilitate Earthquake Relief Efforts

France24
Myanmar junta declares quake ceasefire as survivors plead for aid

The shallow 7.7-magnitude earthquake on Friday flattened buildings across Myanmar, killing nearly 3,000 people and making thousands more homeless. The military government said it would observe a ceasefire from Wednesday until April 22 to make quake relief efforts easier, after other armed groups fighting the country's bloody four-year civil war made similar pledges. Rights groups and several foreign governments had earlier condemned the junta for continuing to carry out air strikes even as the country grappled with the quake aftermath.

Left
France24
AP NEWS
Myanmar’s military declares a ceasefire to ease quake relief as the death toll tops 3,000

Myanmar’s ruling military declared a temporary ceasefire in the country’s civil war Wednesday to facilitate relief efforts following a 7.7 magnitude earthquake that has killed more than 3,000 people. The surprise announcement by military leaders who also head the unelected government came late Wednesday on state television MRTV, which said the halt in fighting would run until April 22 to show compassion for people affected by Friday’s quake. The announcement followed unilateral temporary ceasefires announced by armed resistance groups opposed to military rule, and the military warned that those groups must refrain from attacking the state and regrouping, or else face “necessary” measures.

Middle
AP NEWS
The Straits Times
Myanmar junta declares quake ceasefire as survivors plead for aid

The junta said in a statement the ceasefire had “the aim of speeding up relief and reconstruction efforts, and maintaining peace and stability”. But it warned its opponents – a complex array of pro-democracy and ethnic minority armed groups – it would still respond to attacks, acts of sabotage or “gathering, organising, and expanding territory that would undermine peace”.

Right
The Straits Times
Sponsored

Shipping Supplies in Stock at ULINE

From boxes & packing materials to tape & labels, we've got you covered. In stock & ships today.
View More

News Results

Myanmar Earthquake Death Toll Nears 3,000, Rescuers Look for Survivors - News18
Myanmar earthquake death toll nears 3,000 as rescuers race against time to look for survivors. Aid groups struggle to provide food, water and shelter
News Article Image
Earthquake of 4.6 magnitude hits Myanmar as country’s death toll from first quake tops 3,000
A 4.8 magnitude earthquake struck Myanmar on the evening of April 2, 2025, causing brief alarm but no significant damage or casualties. The shallow quake, centered near the border at a depth of 25 kilometers, was felt in nearby regions, though no injuries have been reported.
News Article Image
Myanmar earthquake death toll nears 2,900 as rescue efforts continue
A man has been pulled alive from the ruins of a hotel in the capital, Naypyidaw, days after the magnitude 7.7 quake. The death toll from last week's earthquake in Myanmar has risen to 2,886, according to state television. 4,639 people were injured and 373 were missing as of Wednesday morning.
News Article Image
Myanmar earthquake death-toll tops 3,000 as junta declares a ceasefire to ease aid
The announcement by the military’s high command was reported late Wednesday on state television MRTV. It said the truce would run until April 22 and was aimed at showing compassion for people affected by Friday's quake. As of late Wednesday local time, the death toll from the tremor had climbed above 3,000.
News Article Image
Myanmar’s military government announces temporary ceasefire to aid quake efforts
By Eve Brennan (CNN) — Myanmar’s ruling military government has announced a temporary ceasefire in operations against armed opposition groups to aid
News Article Image
Myanmar’s military government announces temporary ceasefire to aid quake efforts - Boston News, Weather, Sports
Myanmar's ruling military government announces a temporary ceasefire in operations against armed opposition groups. The truce would last until April 22, state-run MRTV said. More than 2,700 people have died in Myanmar following the deadliest natural disaster to hit the country in years. Aid agencies have warned that the destruction caused by the 7.7 magnitude quake is leading to a medical crisis.
News Article Image
Myanmar Military Declares Ceasefire Amid Earthquake Recovery
Myanmar's military has declared a temporary ceasefire from April 2 to April 22. This move follows a deadly earthquake and aims to aid the country's rehabilitation efforts. The announcement, made via state-run MRTV, seeks to reduce conflict amid the ongoing recovery process. The decision comes in the wake of a devastating earthquake that rattled the nation.
News Article Image
Myanmar's Military Ceasefire Amid Earthquake Devastation
Myanmar's ruling military has announced a temporary ceasefire to aid relief efforts after a massive earthquake struck the country. The decision came to light late Wednesday through state-run MRTV and marks a shift from the government's initial stance. The devastating 7.7 magnitude quake hit Myanmar last Friday and largely affected areas like Naypyitaw and Mandalay.
News Article Image
Myanmar junta rejects ceasefire proposals, earthquake deaths pass 2,800
The death toll in the earthquake has reached 2,639, with 373 missing. A pro-democracy rebel group has announced a ceasefire for a month. The announcement comes as concerns mount over the impact of the quake on the region. The death toll is expected to rise as more people are injured.
News Article Image
Myanmar earthquake: Junta fires at Chinese Red Cross convoy
The convoy was en route to Mandalay, the hard-hit city near the epicentre of the magnitude-7.7 earthquake that struck last Friday. The Ta'ang National Liberation Army, an armed rebel group, said that military troops shot at the convoy of nine vehicles with machine guns.
News Article Image
Myanmar's Earthquake Devastation: Temporary Ceasefire Eases Relief Efforts Amidst Civil War
The 7.7 magnitude quake caused widespread destruction on Friday, toppling buildings and claiming over 3,000 lives. The disaster deepens an ongoing humanitarian crisis, with millions already displaced or in need of assistance. The truce facilitates international and local aid efforts as the country grapples with an already dire situation due to civil war.
News Article Image
Myanmar junta fires on earthquake aid convoy as military leader rejects ceasefire proposal
Myanmar's military junta launched fire at a Chinese Red Cross convoy delivering earthquake aid. It came as the leader rejected calls for a ceasefire by armed rebel groups to focus on relief and rescue efforts amid the nation’s worst earthquake in a century. The Chinese foreign ministry said rescue teams and supplies were safe after the firing incident.
News Article Image
Sponsored

Shipping Supplies in Stock at ULINE

From boxes & packing materials to tape & labels, we've got you covered. In stock & ships today.
View More